Thank you all for your patience, we've been busy improving the app lately and here's a release that should make PixelDroid a lot more usable and closer to being ready for 1.0.
A lot of work still needs to be done, and we are dependent on the server implementation of the API of course, so some features cannot work until they are implemented, or fixed, there.
Since we don't implement database migration until the 1.0 release, it's possible you have to wipe the data of the app after updating it
Add post reporting functionality (currently not yet functional on pixelfed servers, but pixelfed devs are working on it! It does work on Mastodon, as confirmed with the nice admins of Fosstodon).
Add crash reporting function: when there is a crash the app will give you the option of sending us an email about it (this was done by incorporating TraceDroid, a great, tiny dependency). Please do send us the reports, but try to not send the same report too many times, and try to add steps to reproduce the error to the email!
Add about screen (including list of dependencies and their licenses).
Improve UI: general polish, usability improvements
- Add hamburger icon to bottom bar (#237)
- Make it easier to upload multiple photos, and possible to take multiple photos in-app. Improve post creation UI: it should be clearer what the UI means now (issue #238)
- Change titles of top bars, add back button on the bars where appropriate
- profiles now scroll properly instead of having two scrollable surfaces somewhat in conflict with eachother
- small discover text on the search&discover tab, so that users know what this seemingly random image grid is. Search field UI improved.
- Image grids are no longer misaligned (#242), and they take more of the available space with less dead whitespace.
- Add time to notifications.
Make it possible to access image description by long clicking on the image.
Move "share picture" and "save to gallery" to three-dot menu on post: add "report" and "share link" options to this menu.
Big behind-the-scenes changes to try to improve perfomance and reduce duplication.
Fetch nodeinfo endpoint from instance to get info about the capabilities of the instance (not used for everything it should be yet, but the plumbing is in place).
Translation updates (thank you translators!!!). Also made some hardcoded strings translatable.
Improve compatibility with Mastodon.
Warning message when using the app with non-pixelfed instances.
Fix various bugs and crashes.
P.S.: the naming change is still planned, although now that ConnyDuck's pixelcat is announced it would feel quite silly to rename to something like pixelpanda, luckily we still have some time to think it through before 1.0